Frequently Asked Questions

You can train up to any of these levels:

  • Student
  • Sport
  • Recreational
  • Private
  • Commercial
  • Flight instructor
  • Airline Transport Pilot

The popular certificates and ratings given by various flight schools are:

  • Private Pilot Training
  • Instrument Pilot Rating
  • Commercial Multi-engine Certificate
  • Commercial Single-engine Add-on Rating
  • Certified Flight Instructor Certificate
  • Certified Flight Instructor-Instrument Rating
  • Multi-Engine, Single-Engine & Instrument Instructor Rating

And there are international pilot training programs like:

  • Commercial Pilot Track
  • Professional Pilot Program
  • JAA/EASA Training (Europe)
It’s always up on yourself to decide what your goal is. If you want to procure a private pilot license, you go ahead to join a program that provides you right that. Even if you are unsure of what you want, or how far you want to go with trainings, but still want to fly for fun, then maybe you should get a Sports Rating in flying. You can carry on further once you decide to go in flying more seriously.
No. There are many parameters to be taken care of like being FAA approved, competency of instructors, overall infrastructure, quality of equipment, etc. But you shouldn’t consider cost when it comes to quality.
Usually every country has its own domestic aviation authority which the flight licenses should comply with. In addition to it, international licenses must also comply with regulations laid down by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). For example, flying in Europe needs the license to comply with Joint Aviation Authority (JAA).
A successful completion of a commercially accepted rating takes usually a minimum of 12 months in most schools, which comprises of theory, simulation exercises, written tests, actual flight hours, etc. And you can better it by adding more flight hours that will help you get good offers from local and international airlines/ agencies.

So, only if you have taken a program that is short of a commercial value (e.g. sports or private), should you go ahead for a commercial license.
The minimum pilot experience required for airline grade is 1,500 hours of flight time (1200 for Helicopters), 500 hours of cross-country flight time, 100 hours of night flight time, and 75 hours instrument operations time (simulated/ actual).
It is not mandatory, but candidates with a private pilot's license have done well.
Following is the eligibility criteria for student pilot certificate:

  • You must be at least 16 years of age to get a student pilot certificate
  • You need a minumim of third class medical certificate for flying solo
  • Read, speak, write, and understand the English language.
Following are the types of medical certificates required by FAA:

  • Class I Medical:
    Required for the Airline Transport Pilot. Validity: 12 months for under 40 years of age, and 6 months for more than 40.
  • Class II Medical:
    Required for the Commercial Pilots to be hired for flying. Validity: 12 months.
  • Class III Medical:
    Required for the Private Pilots. Validity: 60 months for under 40 years of age, and 24 months for more than 40.
Scholarships/ financial aids are provided by some schools. The eligibility criteria may vary. Like, for some, being a US citizen, of a certain age, and having a certain certification matters. Some of the non-government organisations that provide aviation scholarships are listed below:

  • AeroClub of New England's Scholarship Program
  • Aircraft Electronics Association (AEA)
  • Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)
  • Amelia Earhart Memorial Scholarships & Awards
  • Astronaut Scholarship Foundation
  • Boeing Scholarships
  • Girls With Wings Scholarship
  • LeRoy W. Homer Jr. Scholarship
  • National Coalition for Aviation Education (NCAE)
  • Women in Aviation International (WAI)
  • Women in Corporate Aviation
The general criteria for instructorship are as under:

  • Must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible.
  • Must possess commercial pilot certificate and Instrument Rating
  • For those who want to become airplanes or powered-lift aircraft instructors, instrument rating in the desired category and class is additionally required.
  • Those holding a sport pilot certificate can obtain a flight instructor certificate with sport pilot rating, permitting them to impart training for the sport pilot certificate in light-sport aircraft.
  • They must pass two additional written exams - fundamentals of instruction (FOI) and a knowledge test specific to the category of aircraft in which instructional privileges are sought, besides completing a practical test.
Yes. Your vision should be 20/40 or better in each eye separately, with or without correction.